LYDBURY NORTH PARISH COUNCIL
Lydbury North is a village and a geographically large civil parish in south Shropshire. The parish extends from parts of the settlements of Argoed, Bryn and Colesty, the settlement of Llysty and hamlet of Acton in the west to Priors Holt, Priors Holt Hill and Churchmoor at its northeastern extremity. Between these is the largest village settlement of Lydbury North together with the village of Brockton and hamlets of Lower Down, Totterton, Choulton, Eaton, Eyton and Plowden.
Lydbury comes from an Old English word Hylde meaning settlement on the noisy one, which may refer to the River Kemp that flows through a significant part of the parish before joining the River Clun. The area extends back beyond the bronze age and there is evidence of Roman occupation. Within the parish is Bury Ditches the site of one of the best preserved iron age forts in the country. In Saxon and Norman times the village of Lydbury North was of great importance.
There are three important historic buildings within the parish Plowden Hall a timber framed building dating in part from about 1300; Walcot Hall dating from the Elizabethan period which was remodelled as a Georgian country house owned by Clive of India; and Totterton Hall dating from around 1814.
In Lydbury North there is a community shop run by volunteers, a primary school, the church of St Michael and All Angels which contains a small Catholic chapel and a public house called the Powis Arms.
The population of the Civil Parish at the 2011 census was 695.